FULL - PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN UPCOMING TRIPS
December 3 – 13, 2019
What is a better Christmas present to yourself this year than a 10-night trip to central Germany including workshops from three of Germany’s best known designers, visits to bustling Christmas markets, and a range of tours including picturesque medieval style towns and modern cities?
Yarn Culture is delighted to announce the second in our series of boutique knitting travel experiences: Christmas Time in Germany featuring Melanie Berg, Åsa Tricosa and Isabell Kraemer.
Cost of the trip as described: $4900 – Send in your deposit by July 1, 2019 and save $150
- Deposit 20%: $980 Due Upon Booking
- 2nd Payment: $1960 Due August 1, 2019
- Final Payment: $1960 Due by September 30, 2019
Begin your experience with a stay in cosmopolitan Frankfurt and learn the history of this modern German-style Manhattan. See the surrounding half-timbered towns nestled in the Taunus Hills, known for their clean air, healing waters and stunning castles. Continue on to Erfurt and Rothenberg ob der Tauber, with amazingly well preserved and charming medieval architecture. Visit the famous Heidelberg Castle and end in the spa town, Bad Homburg vor der Höhe, where you can relax the German way — in the natural spa waters.
Along the way, you’ll enjoy four Christmas markets, each with its own personality and claim to fame. You’ll visit one of the largest markets and one of the most charming markets. You’ll compare wursts, Kartoffelpuffer and Flammkuchen. You’ll develop a preference for traditional or weisser Glühwein and you’ll celebrate Christmas Advent German-style.
It wouldn’t be a knitting trip without the opportunity to expand your knitting skills as well as your yarn stash. We certainly have you covered on this trip where you’ll learn from and knit with three of Germany’s best-known designers - Melanie Berg, Åsa Tricosa and Isabell Kraemer. In addition to workshops with each designer, you’ll learn what we already know - along with being amazing designers, Melanie, Åsa and Isabell are incredibly lovely people.
Throughout the trip you’ll have the opportunity to visit local yarn shops and purchase yarn. We’ll be adding these during the next months and will update attendees as we get closer to our departure date.
Your trip includes:
- 10-night trip through Germany staying in Frankfurt, Erfurt, Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Heidelberg and Bad Homburg vor der Höhe with stop-overs in Steinau an der Straße and Nuremberg.
- Intimate group limited to 15-18 participants
- Sightseeing and touring in 34-seater private coach with experienced driver
- Accommodation in rooms with private bathrooms for 10 Nights in 4 – 5 Star hotels
- Full breakfast daily
- 4 lunches
- 7 dinners including specialty dinners per the itinerary
- Visits to Christmas Markets in Frankfurt, Erfurt, Rothenberg ob der Tauber and Heidelberg
- Fees for tours including Frankfurt City, Kronberg, Nuremburg, Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Steinau an der Straße, Heidelberg
- Knitting workshops with Melanie Berg, Åsa Tricosa, and Isabell Kraemer
- Private guided walking tours of Frankfurt City Center, Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Heidelberg
- Guided tours of Kronberg Castle and Heidelberg Castle
- Dinner at a traditional Ebbelwoi pub
- Traditional Weihnachtsgans Holiday Dinner
- Private Tour of the Brothers Grimm House and Museum
- Tour of Goldhelm Schokolade, home of Yarn Culture’s favorite truffles
- Woad Dyeing Experience
- Visit to WWII Rally Grounds in Nuremburg
- German day spa experience
- Opportunities to shop and purchase yarn from select shops and yarn makers throughout our trip
Your trip does NOT include:
- Airfare to Frankfurt
- Alcoholic beverages
- 21 meals are included and 9 meals are on your own
- Single (Private Room) Supplement: $800.00
- Trip insurance for airfare/travel to Frankfurt and medical coverage in Europe – Cost varies based on your age and location. We can help you procure this if you don’t have it through your credit card or other insurance.
- Your registration is not confirmed until your deposit is received and clears.
- Deposit is 100% non-refundable unless the trip does not meet the minimum number of participants and is cancelled. We will make this decision no later than August 1, 2019 if the trip does not fill before that date.
- 50% of fees paid (less the deposit) are refundable until September 30, 2019.
- Final payment must be made by September 30, 2019. Trip fees for cancelations after September 30, 2019 are 100% non-refundable.
- Payments made by credit card will incur an additional fee of 3% for credit card processing. This will be reflected on your invoice.
We will spend a fair amount of time outdoors on this trip. There’s an old German saying, "Es gibt kein schlechtes Wetter, nur schlechte Kleidung", translation, “there’s no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing”. December in Germany can be very changeable and preparation can be the difference between a good time and a great time. Good walking shoes, layered clothing and a waterproof covering are key items for travel anywhere and Germany is no exception. If this sounds discouraging, you may want to wait for our next trip in warmer weather.
Now that more of the world has discovered the German Christmas markets, traffic in and around the markets and other tourist attractions can be heavy. In addition, security has been increased, forcing buses to park/drop off passengers further away from entrances to the markets and some tourist attractions. Though our drivers will make every effort to drop us off and pick us up in easy to access locations, you should be prepared to walk as much as 1-2 kilometers (a half mile to a mile and a half) and/or 20 minutes to and from our bus.
There will be a lot of walking on this trip though most of it is not strenuous. You should be able to walk and stand for up to 3-5 hours per day. Our guided tours are typically 3 hours in duration. Much of the touring is by foot both outdoors and indoors. In addition, the Christmas markets will be outdoors and likely have limited seating.
Participants should be able to maneuver cobblestone streets as many streets are still cobbled.
While every effort will be made to deliver the itinerary as described, there can be circumstances outside of our control that can cause a change to the agenda. For example, Nuremburg has a major soccer stadium located near the stop we expect to make there. The soccer schedule for December has not been published as of now. If Nuremburg is hosting a home game on the day we pass through, we will not be able to make that stop.